- Do you feel relatively safe coming to school?
- Could you define what a bully is?
- Would you say that bullying has become a problem in your school?
- Have you ever witnessed a fight?
- What would you do if you were to see someone being bullied?
- Have you ever been bullied?
- Have you ever bullied someone yourself?
- In your own words could you tell me what it means to be cool?
- Are you looking forward to High School or dreading the idea?
- Besides the physical, what are some character traits you are developing in this P.E. class?
- What social skills have you acquired by coming to school as opposed to someone who may be home schooled?
- Does someone in this room strike you as the meanest kid in class?
Little did they know, I was just trying to get to know everyone better so we would feel more comfortable in the same room during our discussion.
When people heard about what I was doing they wanted to help in any way possible so I brought them in on the project helping survey the students. We interviewed twice as many students and tallied our findings. I presented everyone with percentages and definitions so that they could have a clearer understanding of how their classmates felt about these issues as a whole.
In our talks we covered:
- Superiority vs. Inferiority
- Non-Violent Communication
- Levels of Discretion
- Negotiation and Mediation
- Self Defense vs. Retaliation
- Domination vs. Compassion
I told the students all about my experiences with bullies and how badly it had affected me a personal level. Students joined in sharing experiences making it very interactive. If I changed anyone's views toward bullying, or helped them decide for themselves to start building stronger relationships than I feel that it was a success. I want the youth of today to start opening their eyes to the world around them and how they are a part of it. Hoping that they can discover these things and make a change for the better.
- Everyone needs to be heard
- Trust and Respect break barriers
- Be the change you wish to see in this world
The principles at the schools would like me to speak again for the entire school and I was offered the availability at one for an after school program. If all goes well perhaps I can have a lasting impact and make a difference in someone's life. Because I believe that that is what it's all about.